Happy Worker is looking for a part-time Happy Office Assistant aka “Happy Doer of All Things”).
Happy Worker designs and manufactures (great!) toys and collectibles. Focused in the worlds of video games, animation, and digital culture, we exist to create happy fans and happy clients. Our small team is passionate about great work, getting all the little details right, and delivering happiness. For more about us please visit www.happyworker.com.
Happy Worker is searching for a new teammate who will be the happy doer of anything and everything, pitching in wherever needed in our busy office. They’ll be an integral part of our small, hard-working team, helping things run smoothly behind-the-scenes, and keeping our space well organized and clean. They’ll bring happiness, a mastery of organization, a professional-yet-fun attitude, and proactive energy to all that we do.
Our Happy Office Assistant will lighten the team’s workload and help our office run more smoothly, helping with anything and everything that keeps our team and office well organized & running smoothly. This includes organizing, solutionizing project challenges, shipping, data entry, vendor sourcing, research, purchasing, office cleaning and other administrative responsibilities.
- Organizing and Cleaning: Keep our office and warehouse tidy and organized by scanning and filing paperwork, cataloging prototypes, tracking and organizing inventory; file toy samples; clean, sweep and mop spaces; handle waste management and recycling; set up and maintain toy and prototype displays.
- Shipping and Receiving: Pack, schedule and manage multiple courier shipments each day; receive deliveries and shipments.
- Project Support: Assist whenever an extra hand is needed on any and all projects throughout the office, collaborating with teammates and external partners, researching, entering data, making phone calls and sending emails, creating documents, and anything and everything.
- Writing: Author personal thank you letters, emails, meeting notes, web pages, and help proof/edit files, documents, and e-mails.
- Reception, Phone and Emails: Happily greet visitors, answer emails, answer phone calls, and turn each person you meet and interact with into the happiest worker possible!
- Errands, Travel, Various Odd + Random Tasks: Run errands, book travel, keep our snack and tea bar stocked, etc etc etc.
- Special Projects: Jump in on a number of different projects, where you’re given the goals and you lead the effort. It could be reorganizing our toy archives and prototype storage, planning and setting up a new display system, writing/creating some fun social media posts, researching new toy opportunities, new clients, or new markets, planning a trade show, planning team events and get-togethers, and increasing happiness in any and all ways.
- Vendors and Purchasing: Help with purchases, pay bills and invoices, work with existing vendors to ensure we're receiving great service and cost effective pricing, find new vendors/partners for all sorts of needs and solutions.
Experience + Talents
- Communication Skills: Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Office Suite and Technology: Proficient with Word, Excel, and Acrobat; fast typist; good online research skills; comfortable with technology and able to troubleshoot common technical/computer issues.
- Responsible and Reliable: Accountable for numerous projects and tasks; an honest person who keeps their word and commitments, and won't let their team down; can be trusted with confidential documents.
- Accurate and Detail-Oriented: Anal-retentive about details, with a desire to support a team by taking care of the “little picture”.
- Quick Learner and Problem Solver: A quick learner who’s always learning more and Googling everything; good at independently solutionizing problems and working out the best answer.
- High on Initiative: Proactive and optimistic - always ready to jump in and help out.
- Thrives in Fast-paced Environments: A quick worker who’s practiced at handling lots of to-dos, without dropping any balls; Please tell us about your busiest work experience in your cover letter.
- Love of Customer Service: A solutions-oriented people person who’s friendly + helpful.
- A Born Organizer: Someone who can't stop him/herself from tidying a messy space or organizing digital and physical files; passion for making spaces better.
- Working Math Skills: For example, calculating and comparing costs, cross multiplying, calculating volume, and using basic formulas in Excel.
- Appreciation of Geek Culture: Some understanding and appreciation for toys, collectibles, gaming, comics, and pop culture.
- Diverse Work Experience: We’d appreciate seeing a resume that lists all of your previous work experiences – not just the recent positions or the ones you feel relate most to this role.
- Schooling and Learning: High school or post-secondary graduate; always learning and Googling everything.
- Playing and Snacking: Please tell us your favourite toy and snack food in your cover letter.
More About the Role
- Employment Type: This is a part time, permanent position; *role may transition to full time in the future*.
- Hours: Ideally afternoons during the work week, Monday to Friday, 1pm to 5pm (or sometimes later). Servicing our clients/partners well and keeping projects/orders on-schedule occasionally requires some work past 5pm.
- Location: Downtown Toronto, Ontario (Richmond + Spadina). Our office is small, open-concept, and a little crazy.
- Start Date: The successful new team member may begin immediately, or within a few weeks of being hired.
- Compensation: $15/hr - $20/hr depending on experience; benefits will be provided after one year.
About Happy Worker
- What We Do: Happy Worker collaborates with many of the world’s greatest gaming and entertainment brands to design and manufacture (great!) toys and collectibles.
- What Motivates Us: Making our next toy our best toy ever; spreading happiness to our clients/partners, their fans, and everyone else we come in contact with.
- Culture: Hardworking, communicative, reliable, fun, honest, self-critical, entrepreneurial, and family-like. And, of course, happy :).
- More Info: www.happyworker.com
Applying to Become a Happy Worker
To apply for this happy mission, please send an e-mail with your resume and cover letter to email@example.com the subject line: “I'm Your Happy Office Assistant!”
In your cover letter, please answer the following 4 bonus questions:
- Why do you want to be a Happy Worker?
- Where do you see yourself in 2-3 years?
- In past jobs/work, talk about a time when you “went the extra mile”.
- What are you geeky about?