Happy Worker Toys is looking for a full-time Happy Product & Production Coordinator, Toys, in Shenzhen, China. This new teammate’s main mission is to oversee toy projects and coordinate with our team and factory partners, to make sure our toys are manufactured to be their very best.
- Contract: Full-Time Contract (2-year term, renewable)
- Location: Shenzhen, China
- Start Date: Begin immediately, or within a couple weeks of being hired.
- Office Hours: Approximately 9:00 to 18:00 Monday to Friday.
Requires some work on Saturdays, evenings, and other times as required to keep projects on-schedule. Weekly team meetings Tuesdays at 21:30-23:00 by video conference to discuss projects.
- Compensation: Varies on experience.
- Employment Type: Engineering Project Management
Oversee toy projects and coordinate with our team and factory partners, ensuring that our products are manufactured to be their best.
- Product Documentation: Create and translate documents, including toy specifications, request for quotations (RFQs), product guides, QC checklists, project schedules, and more.
- Review and Improve Samples: Carefully review prototypes and production samples. Take photos and make detailed comments. Oversee improvements so that our products will be their best.
- Project Management: Manage products and project schedules from early concepts and costing, through R&D, prototyping and sampling, to final mass production. Provide detailed daily and weekly product and project updates.
- Clear Communications: Communicate with our teammates and factory partners daily by email, phone, chat and videoconference.
- Factory Relationships: Build relationships with existing and new factory partners that deliver great products and have professional manufacturing practices. Work with our accounting team to ensure factories and vendors are paid promptly.
- Quality Control and Safety Testing: Create QC checklists for each product. Ensure products exceed requirements, investigating root causes for any issues and finding good solutions. Arrange independent QC inspections. Arrange toy safety and consumer products testing.
- Shipping + Logistics Management: Arrange, track and troubleshoot shipments, from courier packages to FTL/LTL and FCL/LCL ocean and air shipments. Prepare customs documentation and import paperwork.
- Troubleshooting and Working under Pressure: Resolve challenges and issues to ensure highest quality products, delivered on-time and in the most cost-effective manner. Enjoy working under pressure and within tight deadlines.
- Travel and Visits: Willing to travel regularly throughout Guangdong province and other regions of China as needed to visit factory partners and suppliers. May include occasional travel to Canada to visit with our team at our Toronto headquarters.
- Production Experience: 3+ years work experience in consumer products manufacturing, preferably with collectible toys with high design and details. Knowledgeable with designing to cost and designing for manufacturability while pushing conventional boundaries.
- Education: Degree or diploma in product design, engineering, manufacturing, quality management, or related.
- Materials and Methods: Familiar with 3D printing, injection molding and plastics, rotational casting, resin molding and casting, fabric cutting and printing, sewing, painting techniques including washes, dry brushes and airbrushing; offset and digital printing, vacuum forming, blow molding, and more.
- Communications: Excellent business writing and speaking skills in English and Putonghua. Some speaking in Cantonese also beneficial.
- Photography: Experienced taking product photos, working with camera settings and lighting to achieve good results.
- Software, Technology, and Graphics: Intermediate to advanced skills with Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel. Expert online research skills. Fast typist. Past experience with graphic software, creating visuals/diagrams combining pictures and written copy. Exposure to 3D modeling or CAD software.
About Happy Worker
Happy Worker has been creating (great!) toys and collectibles since 2003. Our team is passionate about doing our best work, getting all the little details right, and delivering happiness.
- What We Do: Happy Worker designs and manufactures toys and collectibles together with many of the world’s best video game studios, entertainment studios and corporate brands.
Our products are often designed for grownup collectors and video game fans.
- Our Culture: Hardworking, communicative, reliable, fun, honest, self-critical, entrepreneurial, and, of course, happy.
- What Motives Us: Making our next toy our best toy ever; spreading happiness to toy and game fans, and everyone else we come in contact with.
- Locations: Our main HQ is in Toronto, Canada, with teammates and collaborators located across the U.S. and Europe. Most of our factories are in China.
- More Info: www.happyworker.com
Applying to Become a Happy Worker
To apply, please send an e-mail with your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: “I’d like to be a Happy Production Coordinator!”. Please ensure email is less than 10 MB.
In your cover letter, please answer the following 3 questions:
- What do you find most satisfying about working on products/production?
- Why do you find most challenging about working on products/production?
- Can you share some examples of your troubleshooting experiences and working under pressure?