Magnet Sandwich not as Tasty as it Sounds
By Heidi Bedore
This week California resident Braden Eberle found out what happens when magnets serve as snacks. Four year old Eberle consumed two bite-sized magnets from his toys, and suffered the magnetically malicious consequences. While poppin’ a magnet wouldn’t normally cause ill effects, this electro-eatin’ kid decided to take a double dosage – a day apart.
After complaining of stomach aches, Eberle and his parents visited Dr. Sanjeev Dutta for an X-ray. Dr. Dutta found that the magnets had created a bowel sandwich inside Eberle, and quickly removed the “top bun” with his super magnetic surgical instrument. The Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine notes that “early surgical intervention can prevent significant morbidity and mortality.” Perhaps not eating the magnet(s) in the first place would be the best way to prevent “significant morbidity and mortality”.
If your multiple magnet ingestion habit is causing you some bogus bodily pain, it’s suggested that you try out an X-ray before diving in an MRI machine. (Ferromagnetic munchies don’t combine well with mega magnetic fields) We’re not joking...a study by the American Society of Anesthesiologists notes that at least a handful of MRI deaths occur each year, all linked to the sheer power of magnets. No, it’s not your magnetic personality that will put you at risk – it’s the magnetic pace maker and other non-humanoid stuff you’ve got implanted in your body.
Magnets may be dangerous when it comes to toys, but which other household objects could be feeding your child’s magnet poppin’ habit? From debit cards, to your old cassette tapes, to your friendly fridge magnets, oh-so-edible magnets are common in the average North American home. Magnets pose such a treat to kids that the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission named them as one of the hidden home hazards of 2007.
Care about your child’s health, but don’t want to ditch the Magna Doodle? Teach your kid about the dangers of eating their toys (excluding Playdough, of course).
Can’t keep the magnety goodness out of your child’s mouth? Beat the magnetic blues by always eating in 2’s.